Today's game + Reasons why you look like going bald while you definitely don't

 If I loose hair every time a family member or a hairdresser told me I was going bald since I had my first haircut to today, I'd pretty much have all my hairs, follicles and scalp shedding down to my skull. My hair measures 7-9 cm ponytail circumference and it's FIA's type 1c/f/m/ii.

What can you do with this info.?

1. Volume vs. Compressible hair

2. "A picture is worth a thousand words": now don't come up with pictures when you were 9, because from 9 to 30 you already had more than one changes in your body, anything from periods to medication or diet, these factors and a lot other more factors lead to change in follicle shape and distribution on your scalp and body. Either don't compare a long with a short haircut. Of course your hair looks big when cut short and thin, less or compressed in long hair. Again, stop looking at pictures where haircuts are shown. Those photos were shot after the hair was styled.

Know something about photography. There is a reason why models look good in a photo. It's called posing. Those models know how to position their body to fake/make a certain look. Just like a photographer knows how to position his camera to photographh a subject from a specific angle. A family meeting is not a modelling session.

This video shows exactly what styling means.
 
Know FIA's hair typing system. Without knowing that there are 4 types of hair, with each of them containing 3 subcategories, the difference between fine, medium and coarse strands, and the distribution of your hair follicles , you can completely give all your money to your stylist to trick you into cutting your hair each month or check the links above for a start.

3. Hair loss?

Do you really have hair loss? Tell me reasons why you would have that?
Do you have a major stress: depression, loss of a family member, joblessness, etc.?
Do you have a certain sickness? and if so, do you keep it medicated and controlled?
And no, don't just say it looks thin. Don't even start with that volume on the crown, because let's make it clear from the start, type 1 (straight) will fall flat near/on your scalp and shoulders and you will still see the scalp, due to how follicles are placed on your scalp (and this, my friends, is microscopy and medicine) , type 2 will look good freshly washed but damaged and flat the 2nd day (because it's not as shiny as straight hair and doesn't have much volume (read: doesn't pouf) like curly hair), curly (type 3) "looks good" only because you don't see the scalp (yeah seeing the scalp is definitely a sign of balding apparently) and type 4 (kinky, as in natural, black/African descent)... what? How that hair should look for you if you don't even know anything about appearance vs FIA.

4. Apparently connected to thin ends:

Also, just because not all of your 120,000 hair strands grown the same length, doesn't mean that your hair is damaged. Know what fairytale ends are! If all of your hair would grow the same length (no matter if chin length of floor length)  you wouldn't be able to bun your hair. Taper (results of each and every strand reaching its terminal length independently of the others) is there to help you, not to hinder your day to day life.
The volume
This doesn't mean volume as in the total volume of your hairs, but rather how many much volume you have with the individual hairs on your head. Those with fine hair doesn't necessarily have little volume and those with coarse hair doesn't necessarily have a lot of volume.
The thickness or volume also have an ability to amplify the effects of the straightness and structure. For instance, having very curly and thin hair will make your hair even more sensitive to damage because you have less hairs that can take the damage. But if you have thin hairs and a lot of them, you probably wont be as concerned with damage because you have lots of hairs anyways.
(Taken from Igor).
Volume is not the same as density, which is not the same as thickness of hair strands, which is not the same as distribution of hair strands on your scalp and these are definitely not the same as compression or curliness.
5. Know that there are tricks to make hair look thicker.
Anything from praising the type of shampoo, using less conditioner, or even covering the roots with concealer or coffee to haircuts. I've seen it all, and trust me, I don't bother to tell how many times I spot a fake curl made on a 1.5" flat iron barrel or backcombed hair for volume, coloured hair or a damn blowout.
If I feel like I miss volume I French or Dutch braid my hair. Of course my hair goes back to straight after one night bunned at the nape for sleep, that's fine hair for you: it's pliable.

6. Know about seasonal hair shedding. 

Now there are many websites that tell you that seasonal hair shedding/loss happens more in winter than in spring. In fact they barely mention spring hair shedding, mostly they don't mention this at all. If you don't know that your hair feels at thickest in summer and you don't know your hair shedding routine, you panic. In this case, no hairstyle and hairdresser will help. It's ok to panic once, go to a doctor and then come back home with datas, fact and numbers about your hair and your body.

"This winter hair loss is more significant and can sometimes continue into the spring months, especially if you live in a colder climate." (Viviscal)

Now I wonder if I shed in april because I live close to the Northern Sea? Does area where you live has an influence on your hair follicles? I think yes, because it's about colder climate, less sunshine, more humidity that weighs down my fine strands and the summer heat that has already reached 40C (no, I don't walk outside without covering my hair but the heat can also plump my hair's cortex). Also my hair becomes heavier in the summer. Usually in winter I have like 1b/1c and in summer I have like 2a.

7. Know the difference between hair fall, hair shedding (mostly seasonal shedding) and hair breakage.
The first time I decided to let my hair grow was the moment I saw that my scalp doesn't become any balder while I filled my bathtub with my shed hairs.
I googled "hair falls but I don't go bald". The first article I read is still available.
Now after googling various things about hair fall without balding, Google was such a helpful search engine to lead me to the long hair community among other long hair blogs. The LHC really takes a year to study it intensely for a year if you do it every day. 
Of course I still read about hair, health, nutrition,  medicine, diet, fitness even after 6 years of LHC. Of course I still experiment with an updo, hair clip, deep conditioner receipt or oils.
Of course I still learn about my hair type because 1c is hated by the society for being straight and too "heavy" (busy) when unlayered and longer than chin length.
Of course I still check out ingredients, especially because I know so much about hair and scalp by now and I know I still have a lot to learn.
Of course I still check for split ends, even though I barely get 10 split ends in a year (so much about keeping your up and not messing with layers, styles, short pieces grabbed in my glasses, etc.). It may not be a big deal to have a strand or 2 catched in your glasses but in a year it adds up, not to mention that in a year your hair has grown 10-12 cm; of crimped, damaged because of glasses.
Of course I still check my ponytail circumference twice a year. My hair is compressible. It can compress down to 7 cm if I hold it in a ponytail for more than 5 min. I know that because my hair ellastic is slipping down and I feel the ponytail dent after I take it off. My hair can also measure 10 cm in some conditions like heat and humidity and I know my hair poofs when hot but compresses when humidy outside. But humidity plus summer heat equals volume. It poofs. In the long hair community we call it the Houdini hair. It's also that kind of hair that looks too big for hairdressers but too thin for braids.
And people can't decide what is natural behaviour of hair. People are used to not see scalp. Hair must look thick, like having big oomph away from scalp. Apparently having your hair 5 cm away from scalp means you have thick hair and you don't go bald. Hair doesn't grow like that. That's called styling. It was made to look like this. It was lied by the media and beauty lobbyists that if you don't see the scalp you have thick hair. Why? It doesn't even make sense! Just because I can see my scalp and you can see scalp from every balding person out there, doesn't mean that me and the bald one have the same amount of hair. Just because people cut bangs in and my "bangs" are 1m long, doesn't mean that they have more hair?

Let me ask you a question:
If person 1 is wearing her hair down, person 2 in a ponytail and person 3 in a braid would that mean that the one with her hair down has more hair than the other 2? Even though we take 3 people with the same FIA's type and the same hair length? These types of people who have the exact same hair type are to be found a lot on hair forums.

8. Know the difference between cowlicks, natural parting and poufiness vs falling flat of fine hair.

Fine hair needs a lot of styling, clips under hair and tricks mentioned above to make it look thicker. It still doesn't change the fact that you have a respective (FIA's) hair type. Just because I cut my hair to pixie and it poofs 5 cm away from scalp if I don't use conditioner anymore, doesn't mean that - hidding my natural cowlicks and their placement. Styling is there merely for hiding purposes. I can just as well hide behind the door while playing with kids, this doesn't mean that I don't exist as person on this planet. Same aqs with your hair type: just because you shape it and hide imperfections, doesn't mean that they are gone  forever, never comming back again.

Don't ask people to be beautiful for you.

Don't just pretend you miss people, when you actually (video) call them to see them when they're tired, have another routine at home on sundays than they have on weekdays. Of course I comb my hair on weekdays, but I don't wash my hair on Sunday morning nor I blow dry it for volume to hide my awkward side parting and my overall greasy hair. It's ok to have a day off, without making yourself beautiful for anyone. If you really want to see a person at their best, make an appointment. And by the way, family meetings shouldn't be another home office meeting.

In general it's people who don't have the least decency to either ask questions or Google something. Such people think they know better and they know it all. It doesn't matter how often you spam their inbox with the link to this or that website, recommend them to read a certain book, article or listen to a certain podcast or interview. It's people who like to see beauty in a specific manner and that's that. They don't even want to see beautiful people, they want to see standardized people. If your beauty doesn't fall in a certain cathegory, they panic because they don't know how different each of the human on the planet is. Froom 1a to 4c there are 12 types of hair (taken by curliness and lack thereoff), f (fine), m (medium), c (coarse) are another 3 types of hair added to the 12, but talking about the thickness of the majority of the strands of hair on each and every scalp. from thin (i) to medium (ii) and thick (iii) there are another 3 types of hair added to those mentioned above and it stays for the ponytail circumference. If we'd gather all the members of my family and my relatives, we'd all have a unique hair type or there would only be only 1 or 2 pair of humans having the same hair type. It's called statistics, not going bald.
 

Reading my blog post before I hit the Publish button, I realized I pretty much summarized all my LHC knowledge about hair and scalp. I still can't shake that school teaching off to link the sources and quote statements to support my research. It took 2 days to write this blog post, but then I come to you with facts, datas and numbers about a thing I am talking about. I am so done with rumours that were hyped since the modern times.

June's Journey is a game by the same Wooga, who created Pearl's Peril. These games are very much alike: the theme, the story, etc. I like them both. I finnished Pearl's Peril few years ago and I play June's Journey since the time I finished Pearl's Peril.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EFIT 27. September

- Ett Foto I Timmen - (10.02)

Survive at least one month quarantined