I can't braid my hair!

I can't count how many times I've seen this on different YouTube braiding tutorials.
I was like: "so what? I can't do fishtail braided double Dutch braids either."
Venting for more than 3 years on YouTube I met people who really can't braid, no matter what. I was puzzled because I have scoliosis so it should be more difficult for me to handle my classic long hair that it should be for them handling layered apl-to-waist length hair.
Growing my hair longer helped me learning what rough handling is (aka ripping off trough tangles), how our body can be trained to accept natural products, how shampoo commercials lie, etc. The lower half of my hair is thin but it marks the learning process of 23 years of short hair.
(Photo w/ the braid)
I learned that if you can't do this or that fancy updo is ok. I focus on flat and stable braided buns instead of volume, intricate small braids that would force me to lighten my hair so you can see it.
Here are my tips for fast braids and braided updos:
1. Do you have any handicap? Do what you can instead of what you can't.
I can't do double braids because my shoulders won't bend that much.
I can braid only in the middle. I go for Dutch, French English and if I feel fancy - fishtail braids. One braid on the back. Class!
Find the right spot fir your hands to handle your hair. I also recommend you to start with ponytails, then braid them.
I remember how my first braided ponytail was twisted at the point where I took it from my back to braid the rest if my length (show a gif!)
It doesn't have any meaning to rip off your hair in the name of that voluminous 'do or that dishevelled crown braid when alternatives are much easier to achieve, take way less time, last for longer and you don't need to spend money on different types of combs and brushes, hair sprays or dry shampoo.
I can't even pancake my braid and I hate pancakes. It's a lie. Your hair is fine, it's 1b/f/ii and it doesn't have volume because it's not curly. Trends are made to stress you over the impossible. Get over it.
2. Do you even know how to braid?
If you never had long hair, don't start with pinterest-y hairstyles. Same goes for any handicap or clumsiness or if you're in a rush. Start with the boring, low manipulation hairstyles. A braided bun is more than enough for a start. Even if you twisted your braid by mistake, it won't show.
3. For beginners: start with moisturised hair.
If your hair is sticky or dry it will clump and you will tend to rip off your hair "to detangle it". If your braid unravels (it happens to fine and freshly washed hair), start with a ponytail. Use a scrunched instead of regular hair ties.
4. Practice.
If you don't feel too much strain, you can go on braiding your hair the way your arms, fingers or shoulders allow you.
I started with lower lumpy braids, the step by step I got more grip. Last year when my hair was barely reaching hip length I thought I'd give up French and Dutch braids because I thought it will too difficult to hold my heavy hair. I was wrong, I'm at classic now and I mostly do French braid based updos because my updos are now so big, half of it sits on my nape where there's no more hair to grab the coils of my updos. Dutch braids seem to take longer for me than French braids.
4. Start with dirty hair.
No, it's not the same advice you will read all over the internet.
Dirty hair is for my fine hair, the fourth day after washing/co-washing. On the 4th day my hair has a structure and holds my French or Dutch braid for another 4 days. I can make a dianyla braid after a week and a half.
This phenomenon happens because natural oils and braid bends from past braids gives my hair that natural grip you would spend money for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EFIT 27. September

- Ett Foto I Timmen - (10.02)

Gaming challenge for Blogging from A to Z