Book review: #amreading Die Musik des jenseits by Carolin Sandner


What do you do after reading series? You read your Facebook friend's book, because why not: the plot sounds interesting, your husband is probably a hobby music producer and you always wanted to know how some rock bands can create such mysterious music videos about sadness, drugs, hallucinations or suicide. Little spoiler alert, those musicians wrote how they felt, so next time be careful when using terms like emo for goth or for experimental music à la Bjork, or so. If you check Carolin Sandner's Facebook profile you will see she shares great ballads from bands I only heard them once or twice, but almost never on regular music channels.
I started reading Carolin Sandner's book on 13th November (no pun intended) and I read to page 34 from the start. It's a good sign, because I usually read that much in such a short time if a certain book is fast paced with a slow motion effect. Not dwelling on details, using as less words as possible to describe a scene is for me love at the first... read.
I hate unstructured reviews so I structured mine in THE GOOD, THE BAD and THE UGLY (again, no pun intended).
The good
Stanley's POV (point of view) reminds me of interviews of people telling how they felt during resuscitation... You can find a lot of information about death in this book.
This story also reminds me of the movie Ghost, a movie I tried watching without crying like Dana in this book.
The bad
If you were in a relationship would you still meet your school friends? No wonder Stanley thought Dana would go back to her ex.
The ugly
If you don't like or don't know anything about goth culture you won't understand Stanley. Goth is not just about suicide. It's about being laughed at because you're shy, having fears of being a loser and much more.
In the end suicidal thoughts kick in if you don't get rid of of certain people in your life... Even a therapist can't help you if you are surrounded by people who drag you down.
In order to understand Stanley I recommend listening to the songs mentioned by Carolin Sandner in her book, but also listen to other gothic and metal songs (highly recommend: HIM).
It's a good read. I am planning to buy the second part of the trilogy too.

Comments

  1. I would never have thought about listening to music to help me understand a character more, that's such an interesting tip! Great review, thank you for sharing :) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you find my tips on listening to certain music to understand a book character to be interesting. While reading this book I remembered old good gothic rock song I didn't hear in years. 😊

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EFIT 27. September

- Ett Foto I Timmen - (10.02)

Gaming challenge for Blogging from A to Z