Layers, feathered cuts and... Step cuts?

I just wanted to know why people say layers make your hair voluminous and manageable... and "effortless" (what a gag btw) while the bottom half of my hair is a chore to detangle sometimes, "thanks" to layers.
After cca. an hour of research I stumbled upon a "new" type of haircut called step cut.
This step cut is supposed to give bounce (whatever this supposed to be anyway) to your hair, whereas layers are just some short hair strands to flatter your face or something.
I feel like when I had short hair I had almost curly hair, again thanks to layers, step cut or whatever chopped off mess people can do out of hair in general. Now that my hair grew at least to bsl/mbl (bra strap to mid-back for people who are not familiar with the long hair community), I found out that my hair appears to be some kind of poofy straight instead of Shakira-wavy!
Dec. 2017, waist length. Straight 'till collarbone length, wavy length and kinda curly ends
I think this step cut is a combination between layers and feathering aka thinning out hair. It doesn't matter how you cut it, just cut it in such a way it gives the appearance of omg effing megathick hair without "looking like a blanket" or like a cat lady. For me this is a paradox, sorry. I mean it's either you have thick hair or you have... medium or thin hair.
So my hair was texturised back when it was a long pixie in summer 2013. But how in the world was my hair cut? Was it actually a step cut with also minimal feathering? Or just step cut with minimal blending because of a short hair cut? I only remember my hairdresser part my hair in 4 parts: upper, lower and the sides, then used some thinning/texturing scissors and by the end of a rough blow fryin' er... drying... I mean blow drying my hair - already looked like I was a freshly hatched chicken with dizzy head because of how rough my hairdresser disheveled my hair: poor follicles hate to be messed up. I have a somewhat sensitive scalp I guess (?)
I tend to believe my haircut was basically a step cut. My hair used to curl and it still does on the bottom half. All in all this article explains exactly how my hair behaves. It was also a huge v until I started microtrimming half a year in 2017 and another half a year in 2018. Unfortunately there is no difference after such a short time of trimming and letting my hair grow. It grows with these "curls" until I cut them completely. Plus, my hair will thin out much when it will reach terminal length so I think I will have some textured ends. Hopefully not as bad as now though... All in all this article explains exactly how my hair behaves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EFIT 27. September

- Ett Foto I Timmen - (10.02)

Survive at least one month quarantined